Earlier this week the National Assembly argued that the motion can only be “withdrawn” by the member of Parliament who tabled it and did not indicate that the motion could be postponed.
According to News24, UDM leader confirmed that opposition parties threatened Mbete with legal action if the motion was not postponed.
“It is clear that she finally caved in after we were saying earlier on Tuesday that the motion should be withdrawn,” he said.
Parliamentary spokesperson Moloto Mothapo has confirmed that the motion of no confidence against President Jacob Zuma has been postponed.
The DA leader and other opposition parties’ leaders, EFF and UDM tabled the motion of no confidence against President Zuma.
The motion which was set for next Wednesday was then postponed after the Constitutional Court granted the UDM the permission to have a secret ballot vote on Tuesday.
In a statement issued by Parliament confirming the postponement, “[t]he Programme Committee will now be requested to reflect on the implications of the postponement of the motion of no confidence on the programme of the House, especially in light of Rule 90 (rule of anticipation).
“In terms of Rule 90, postponed motions remain on the programming system of the Assembly, thereby blocking any MP from tabling a similar motion until the one tabled is debated and voted on,” the statement reads.
Holomisa said the motion will now most probably take place in the week of April 24.
Democratic Alliance Chief Whip John Steenhuisen said it would’ve been disrespectful of parliament to continue with the vote when the Constitutional Court ruling was expected.
“The postponement will give ANC members of Parliament time to reflect on their commitment to South Africa and the people,” Steenhuisen said in a statement.
“For as long as Jacob Zuma remains at the Union Buildings, the people, especially the poor and jobless, will continue to suffer.”
The EFF could not be reached for comment.