The circumstances around this incident, which took place on Thursday morning in the Nyanga, are being investigated.
Metrorail’s Riana Scott said: “Our first priority was to call out emergency services and police to switch off the power. We allowed them to do their onsite investigation. The power has been switched on again, but we still have delays of about 60 minutes.”
This comes after the City of Cape Town called for plans to take over the rail network to be expedited. Last month, the council approved an initial business plan for the municipality to own the management of the network in the Cape in the hopes of improving the service.
This means the city can now approach the national government for approval and funding. It’s common knowledge that overcrowding, rampant crime and vandalism are just some of the issues plaguing Metrorail and its commuters on a daily basis.
On Thursday morning the City’s Transport Mayco member Brett Herron experienced what thousands of ordinary Capetonians have to endure on a regular basis.
Herron travelled from Khayelitsha to Cape Town, on the busiest and most dangerous line in the city. The three-hour journey was an eye-opener for him.
“I’m so pained and so emotional. What’s important now is the sense of urgency of which we have to work.”
Herron says the plan to take over the management of the rail function is a matter of urgency.