KZN Health MEC Warns Of Dangers Of Fireworks

PICTURE:

KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo on Monday issued a warning to the public to exercise caution when handling firecrackers.

Dhlomo was speaking at the Edendale Hospital in Pietermaritzburg where seven patients, including a 12-year-old girl, had had to receive medical attention after sustaining various injuries during the New Year’s Day celebrations on Monday night.

According to an orthopaedic surgeon at the hospital, the girl had sustained injuries to her palm, index finger and ring finger. “The patient will lose the tip of her ring finger, and will need occupational therapy rehabilitation to regain maximum functionality of her hand.”

Another patient, an 48 year-old woman, also sustained injuries to her thumb when a firecracker exploded in her hand, injuring her thumb and index finger. She will lose the tip of her thumb.

Dhlomo said: “We would like to urge the public to be careful when they handle fireworks. These injuries could have been avoided. We could have avoided having to book a theatre, and to have a team of nurses and doctors attend to these patients, if this had been handled properly.”

– African News Agency (ANA)