The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has officially announced that Chris Maroleng has been appointed as the new chief operations officer of the public broadcaster.
His appointment is effective from February 1.
“I accept the position at the SABC with deep humility‚ and appreciate the confidence that the Board has shown in me. I look forward to playing a role‚ as part of an executive team‚ in transforming the SABC into a world-class public broadcaster that is responsive to the needs of all South Africans.” Maroleng‚ a former MTN group executive‚ said.
The SABC said it was pleased with its decision as it “followed all legal and governance requirements”.
Maroleng has a great deal of experience in media practise‚ something SABC board chairperson Bongumusa Makhathini is certain will set him apart.
“Maroleng has demonstrated considerable management and financial acumen and he is familiar with the cutting-edge Fourth Industrial Revolution issues that the SABC needs to embrace going forward.
He understands South Africa’s legislative and regulatory environment and his knowledge of broadcasting on the continent is invaluable as the SABC develops its coverage of‚ and in Africa‚” said Makhathini.
Maroleng holds BA(Hons) and MA degrees from the University of Cape Town and has received several post-graduate scholarships and awards.
A court order in December stated that the board would make any permanent or interim appointment of any executive member “only after consultation with the minister of communications”.
Maroleng’s appointment was first announced earlier this year. At the time his appointment was opposed by Communications Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane who argued that she was not consulted. Kubayi-Ngubane required the board to follow procedures in filling the top position.
Ndlozi added that as the EFF they “…also want to remind him that his appointment means he will preside over the operations of the during 2019 national elections. His important test is to always make sure that the Public Broadcaster is not used to suppress those that challenge the statuesque as it was the case in 2014.”