PRETORIA: Ramaphosa has been under pressure to appoint a deputy president and to make changes to the Cabinet he inherited from former president Jacob Zuma.
Following the announcement of David Mabuza as the new deputy president of South Africa announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa on Monday night, the Democratic Alliance (DA) has rejected the appointment saying “he is a threat to the political state of South Africa”.
“His appointment as Deputy President is a danger to our country, and flies in the face of Ramaphosa’s commitment to ‘turn the tide of corruption in our public institutions’,” said DA leader Mmusi Maimane.
According to the DA, Mabuza is not the perfect candidate to be sworn in as Deputy President; “There is no doubt that David Mabuza is unfit to be the Deputy President of South Africa,” said the DA.
The DA has alleged Mabuza of being at the centre of a string of controversies – ranging from blatant corruption to violent thuggery during his two decades in office.
Amongst other things the DA has also commented on the bloated oversized cabinet that Ramaphosa had previously promised to resize but still maintains saying, it would have helped in maintaining Value Added Tax (VAT) and considering the under privileged south Africans.
“If Ramaphosa cut the cabinet to 15 ministries, we could have saved billions of rands and avoided a VAT hike altogether,” the party added.
Meanwhile, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) has also rejected the cabinet reshuffle.
According to a statement issued by the party, “We view it as a mere realignment of corrupt and state capture delinquent ministers,” the party said in a statement.