HERMANUS: Last week the DA claimed it has obtain photographic evidence that the ANC acted as the third force behind the Hermanus unrest.
Following the recent land invasion attempts which resulted in violence, vandalism and xenophobia in Hermanus, the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Western Cape has distance itself from the recent unrest, claiming the ANC is behind it.
DA’s Constituency Head for the Overstrand Municipality, Masizole Mnqasela said he challenges the ANC to publicly declare the content of the WhatsApp messages exchanged between ANC MPP Cameron Dugmore and Western Cape Secretary Faiez Jacobs by Thursday the 12th of April.
According Mqansela, Dugmore sent a text to Jacobs wherein he said “This is a campaign we must lead and drive in terms of our policies. We must also look at well located private land and consider”.
Last week the DA claimed it has obtain photographic evidence that the ANC acted as the third force behind the Hermanus unrest. The photos clearly showed that the land grabs in the area were part of the ANC’s political agenda to instigate violence and urge residents to illegally occupy land.
“We believe that this is a matter that needs to be investigated and has been referred to the Conduct Committee. We also believe that these are grounds for criminal charges against Dugmore for inciting violence in the area,” Mqansela said.
The ANC subsequently publicly rejected our claims and supports the content of Dugmore’s post and that he acted out of “deep concern” for the situation.
“We don’t believe that this was the case. We believe that the ANC was using divisive rhetoric to instigate violence and motivate residents to illegally occupy land in an attempt to destabilise the province for their own political gain,” the DA said.
“We therefore challenge the ANC and its two implicated members to publicly release the content of the messages no later than Thursday 12 April 2018 to prove otherwise, failing which the DA will take further action to ensure that the ANC’s strategy is exposed,” he added.