JOHANNESBURG: All African National Congress (ANC) Gauteng regional conferences that were set to take place this weekend have been postponed.
Confusion has abounded after the last two days over whether or not the conferences will go ahead, but the ANC’s provincial secretary in Gauteng, Hope Papo confirmed to a Johannesburg-based Talk radio on Wednesday that they have been now been postponed.
Speaking on the sidelines of the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) meeting on Monday, ANC Secretary-General Ace Magashule told the media that the conferences had been postponed.
But on an interview on Monday night, ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said Magashule had been quoted out of context and that the conferences were not postponed.
“What the Secretary-General was saying was effectively taken out of context. There is no conference in Gauteng that has been stopped, canceled or postponed. There are just a number of things that need to be dealt with. As matters stand, all regional conferences in Gauteng are expected to sit at the time and the cut-off date that has been set for such to sit,” Mabe said.
“The National Executive Committee did not arrive at a decision to stop conference. There is a meeting tomorrow [Tuesday] so that they can make sure they begin attending to the readiness of conferences….the final decision of the NEC would then be conveyed when we are done with such meetings,” Mabe continued.
But on Wednesday, Papo said there had been some confusion, and the conferences had indeed been postponed.
“It was not the media who made a mistake; it was us,” he said.
Papo said there were still some outstanding issues. For example, the ANC’s national auditing team needed to finish verifying all of the branches and the dispute resolution committee had not dealt with all of the complaints yet,” he added.
There were also 53 branches which would be given until Sunday to hold their branch general meetings.