Sanef Raises Concerns Following Afro Voice’s Sudden Closure

PICTURE: Ann7

JOHANNESBURG: The South African Editor’s Forum (Sanef) has noted what it calls the “hasty closure” of the Afro Voice newspaper. 

This comes after journalists were informed of the decision to shut office by Afrotone Media Holdings chairperson Mzwanele Jimmy Manyi on Thursday.

Speaking on a Johannesburg-based talk radio, Sanef chairperson Mahlase Mahlase said the company should have given employees enough notice of its intention to close down.

“I have been speaking to a lot of reporters that have been affected and all of them are wondering about their future. They were all at work getting ready for the next day’s publication and a bombshell was dropped on them,” she says.

The Gupta-linked publication was previously known as The New Age and has been surrounded by controversy even before its launch.

“They had chosen a particular stance on how they would report, it was stories favorable to former president Jacob Zuma. Their credibility was also questioned. Their business model itself was where the problem was, they were dependent on money that was based on government institutions and of course that was not sustainable,” Mahlase added.