Wits Thrash Chiefs At Home 

Mxolisi Macuphu of Bidvest Wits is challenged by Erick Mathoho of Kaizer Chiefs during the Absa Premiership match between Kaizer Chiefs and Bidvest Wits on the 07 August 2018 at FNB Stadium PICTURE: Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix
By Isaac Ndou

JOHANNESBURG: Bidvest Wits continued their fine start to the 2018/19 Absa Premiership season with a comfortable 3-1 victory over Kaizer Chiefs at the FNB Stadium on Tuesday night. 

Wits showed they were gunning for a win as they threatened as early as in the 10th minute when defender Thulani Hlatshwayo unleashed a long-range shot which unfortunately touched the outside post.
Chiefs replied 8 minutes later when Ramahlwe Mphahlele dashed forward and delivered a precise cross to Leonardo Castro who failed to convert his headed effort into a goal. 
New Bidvest Wits signing Deon Hotto continued his fine start for the club when he opened the scoring with a sensational strike that gave Itumeleng Khune no chance in the 23rd minute and put wits in the lead.
Chiefs began launching attacks in search of an equalizer and eventually levelled matters in the 32nd minute through Castro who headed home from a Khama Billiat free kick.
Castro was again in the thick of things moments later but was unable to connect with a grass cutting cross just before the halftime break. 
It was Wits who would be taking a lead into the halftime break through Terrence Dzvukamanja who met Sifiso Hlanti’s cross with a header that found its way into the back of the nets in the 43rd minute.
When the second half resumed, The Clever Boys added another goal against Chiefs when Gift Motupa calmly finished from another Dean Hotto assist to make it 3-1 with two minutes into the second stanza.
Erick Mathoho got to the end of a Bernard Parker corner but his headed effort went off target from goal in the 57th minute before Khama Billiat also tried his luck without any success moments later.
Amakhosi tried with all their might to get back into the game but were to be unsuccessful in their quest as the match ended at 3-1, giving Wits their second impressive win of the season in as many games.