NORTH WEST: Staff in the North West provincial government have complained of intimidation and threats since various departments there were placed under administration, Parliament has heard.
This was according to Minister in the Presidency for Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who spoke to Parliament’s ad hoc committee into the North West provincial government on Thursday afternoon.
Dlamini-Zuma also chairs the inter-ministerial committee that has been intervening in the provincial government in terms of Section 100 of the Constitution since May.
Dlamini-Zuma told the committee that the inter-ministerial committee was receiving assistance from national government’s Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster in dealing with the threats.
She said the authorities were investigating the source of threats to staff. “If people threaten administrators or staff, then it is a problem that we cannot tolerate. If someone has a contract and that contract gets cancelled, it could happen that that person would threaten staff because they are affected,” she said.
“We have discussed this with the security Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster asked them to supply the necessary security to staff,” said Dlamini-Zuma.
Ad hoc committee member for the Democratic Alliance (DA) Mergan Chetty said that in an environment where the national government was intervening to restore normality, it was not acceptable that staff were receiving threats.
“It can’t be right that people who plunged this province into the crisis that it is in are allowed to threaten the security and safety of those who are sent to rectify the situation and implement our interventions,” said Chetty.
North West province was plunged by endless protests earlier this year with residents complaining about rampant corruption and poor service delivery resulting in former Premier of the province, Supra Mahumapelo taking an “early retirement”.
Professor Job Mokgoro has since taken over as premier of the province. In an exclusive interview with SABC News, Mokgoro was asked about a possible reshuffle.
“I can confirm that I am doing an assessment on the capabilities of the entire provincial state and that includes the executive. Certainly, we need to streamline the performance of the public service of government. We also want to make sure that as part of our effort to restore confidence in our people the decisions that are taken should take that into account.”
Meanwhile, Mahumapelo says he does not see anything wrong in Mokgoro’s reversal of all the provincial government’s programmes he had adopted.