WATCH: Eskom Workers Remains In Limbo About Their Future

Eskom workers picket outside Megawatt Park in Sunninghill against a possible split of the power utility. PICTURE: Business Day

JOHANNESBURG: Workers abandoned their posts on Wednesday afternoon to picket over the possible split of Eskom as well as retrenchments.

Eskom says employees at Megawatt Park have returned to their workstations following a lunchtime picket outside the office. This comes after workers embarked on a picket over the possible split of Eskom as well as retrenchments.

Eskom’s task team has reportedly proposed unbundling the organisation into three different entities.

Last year, the power utility trimmed its executive management personnel to reduce its wage bill.

Yesterday, Fin24 reported that President Cyril Ramaphosa was allegedly “immovable” during a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday in Cape Town, where plans to salvage and streamline Eskom were discussed and adopted.

He is expected to make an announce during his State of the Nation Address today that Eskom is to be broken up into three different parts, but is also expected to emphasise that none of those – comprising of separate generation, transmission and distribution business units – will be completely privatised because of their strategic value to government and the economy.

Spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe said employees are concerned about their future at the cash strapped company.

“People are worried, they are anxious and want to know what is going to happen to them. Management is saying that at this stage there is no mandate from the board to extend this section to other people.”

WATCH: Eskom Workers Remains In Limbo About Their Future