JOHANNESBURG: According to the EFF, the alleged assassination was counting on the EFF being thrown out of parliament, like in the past year, which did not happen.
Bheki Cele’s office can confirm they had information on the possible threat to the EFF leader’s life, but can’t say when it was received.
The EFF’s claims that they were aware of an attempt on leader Julius Malema’s life, which they said in a statement resulted in the alleged assault of a plain-clothes police officer by EFF MP Marshall Dlamini as an act of “necessary self-defence”, were met with skepticism from parliament and on social media.
Police minister Bheki Cele’s office has now confirmed that they did indeed have information on such an attempt – although they can’t say who provided this information or when they received it, TimesLive reports.
According to the EFF’s Veronica Mente, meanwhile, the party reported the threat to parliament “before Sona”, adding that the assassination plot had been an “issue since last year”.
“I can confirm that the ministry of police has received information on a threat on the CIC of the EFF [Malema],” the spokesperson for the ministry of police, Reneilwe Serero, told TimesLive.
“I can only confirm the office receiving the threat, As for the timeline, I am not at liberty to say,” she added.
The EFF seems to have gone public about the alleged assassination attempt for the first time on Friday, in a statement that partially used the plot on Malema’s life as justification for the alleged assault, captured on video, of a parliamentary “white shirt” by EFF MP Marshall Dlamini.
According to the EFF, the alleged assassination was counting on the EFF being thrown out of parliament, like in the past year, which did not happen.